A look inside the art room at Herod Elementary School....where ALL kids are artists!
Art Comes Alive Every Day at Herod Elementary!

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Ceramic Pumpkins!

Through the years I have stayed away from "holiday art". I really have missed doing fun Halloween projects and this year I wanted to do something for fall and yes, Halloween. I offered this choice to the kids: You can make a pumpkin or a Jack O' Lantern. It was great! No holiday pressure. 4th Grade began by looking at and sketching a real pumpkin. From there, we reviewed the process of making a pinch pot out of clay. The students made two equal size pinch pots and they were pretty big! They stuffed some newspaper inside each pot and then scored them together. That was day one.
The next day they added groove lines to their pumpkin with a Popsicle stick and then chose to keep it a simple fall pumpkin or turn it into a Jack O' Lantern. They used a needle tool to "saw" out the face. Glazing was simple, because I really limited their colors! I had two shades of orange, yellow, green and brown. I encouraged them to mix and blend. They are beautiful!













No comments:

Post a Comment